The Dexcom G6 CAN be restarted! There was a lot of hype when the G6 came out because Dexcom claimed that it was not able to be used beyond the initial 10 day wear. Thankfully, this is not true.
I want to mention a few things before sharing how I restart my sensors. Please do this at your own discretion. The G6 is FDA approved for 10 day wear only and it is possible that the sensor isn’t as accurate the longer you wear it. I extend my sensors at my own risk, and so should you. Additionally, I’ve extended mine successfully, but of course cannot guarantee that yours will. I found out about how to restart the G6 from a post by @coolreeree .
Second, this method will not deliver blood glucose readings during the restart and warm-up period. You do not need to worry about the sensor expiring before you start the process (other methods require this).
Here’s how I restart my sensors (using the Dexcom app with an iPhone):
- Let your sensor expire.
- Start a new sensor session and chose “no code”. You do not need to remove the transmitter.
- Let the warm-up session start and run for about 15 minutes. I set a timer on my phone.
- After 15 minutes, STOP sensor. It will warn that you cannot start a stopped sensor, but this is not true.
- Start another new sensor and chose “with code”. (Choose this only if you have the code for the sensor you are wearing. Do not enter a code from another sensor or make one up. If you do not have the code, choose “no code”. You will need to calibrate with this option, but the sensor will still restart.)
- The sensor will warm-up for two hours and start giving readings after
That’s it. Literally. It’s super easy.
I use Stay Put Medical adhesive to make sure my Dexcom will stick for the entire 10+ days. Use code “theinsulintype” for 10% off!
Have you used another method to restart your G6? I’d love to hear how. There are lots of ways to do it, but I’ve found this to be the easiest.
Disclosure: I may receive a commission on products that you purchase using my discount code (“affiliate link”). Thank you for supporting me in this way; I MIGHT be able to buy a coffee, but I’ll be sure that I’m writing great content while doing so. But in all seriousness, I only support and share products or companies that I personally believe in. I would never share something that I cannot stand behind. Additionally, discount codes may expire and I cannot guarantee validity.